Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Saving Money Monthly


As women, we are blessed to experience menstruation (and yes, it is a blessing because without it we wouldn't be able to birth babies!). While some women bemoan the fact that they have to spend money monthly to "deal" with this issue, I have discovered some products that not only save me money, but also shorten my period.

Cloth menstrual pads and a menstrual cup!

www.gladrags.com
I first started thinking about cloth pads when I began using cloth diapers for the twins and also really got into watching Little House on the Prairie. It dawned on me that they would have had to use cloth back then because there wouldn't have been any other option. While researching cloth pads, I learned about the menstrual cup. I decided I would give it a try because with all girls, I needed to find a way to save some money before they all started cycling!

While I have patterns to make my own cloth pads (and I have every intention to make some some day), I just didn't have the time to make any of my own. I saw that Glad Rags were on sale in one of the co-ops I order from so I decided to order some and give them a try. Since it was on sale, I also ordered The Keeper to try.

I ordered the organic pads because I figured if I was paying for them, I was going to get something that I wouldn't be making myself later anyway. I also went with the Keeper instead of the Moon cup because I wanted something natural and silicone just didn't fill that description.

I have to say that while it felt weird at first, I am totally in love with my cloth pads and Keeper. I noticed from the first cycle that I used them that I went from my "normal" 7-9 days of menstruating to 4-5. This was a definite bonus! After doing research to find out why, I've come to the conclusion that the absence of chemicals is what is responsible for added bonus.

I keep a small bucket next to the toilet that I put the used pads in and then I wash them with the cloth diapers. I have a friend who just washes hers in with her normal laundry loads. I have heard of others that wash them with their towels and such.  There will be some staining unless you soak in something like Oxyclean (I am actually trying a homemade "oxyclean" just today and will probably post on that later) or hang them in the sun to dry and the sun will naturally bleach the stains out. I don't worry too much about the staining because it isn't like anyone sees them.

As for The Keeper, I love that as well. It does take a little time to figure out which fold is going to work best for you. Depending on how heavy your flow is, you will need to empty it once, twice or three times a day. On my really heavy day, I empty it three times. On my lightest day, I only empty it once.

Now, for to explain the savings! I have purchased the pads and cup over the last two years and I only order when they are on sale through the Frontier co-op so I have saved even more than purchasing directly from Glad Rags. I figure I have spent around $100 for all the pads and my cup. Just this past weekend I was caught off guard with my period because my cycles still aren't back to normal since having Tissa. I had to purchase pads and tampons. Since I won't use pads or tampons filled with chemicals, I purchased Seventh Generation pads and Natracare tampons. I spent $13. I used the entire box of tampons and half the box of pads so I am going to say it cost me $10.

Think about that in costs for a year--$120! After my first year alone using my cloth pads and cup, I was already saving. The cloth pads will last indefinitely and I've read about people using them for 8-10 years before replacing them. When I  think about when all my girls are menstruating, it would cost us over $1000 a year for disposable products. Using cloth will save us tens of thousands of dollars over the years!

I would be glad to answer any questions that someone might have. There are other brands out there that I am sure are good, but I can not vouch for them as I have not tried them. You can find links for free patterns to make your own as well.

3 comments:

  1. Love my mama cloth and cup! I second Darcy, try it! You will never go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree! I have used a menstrual cup for a while! I love it and will not go back to tampons. It have saved me quite a bit of money and will continue to for a long time! Eventually I will try cloth pads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Darcy- I agree- I'm never going back! With the flannelette I used it's a choice between feeling like you're wearing ordinary underwear or a plastic diaper (sorry if that's tmi- but it's what it feels like to use disposables after using cloth.)

    I would also add that I had 3 weeks less of post-partum bleeding using cloth after my 2nd birth as opposed to using disposables with my 1st.

    ReplyDelete